April 12, 2008

Damned

Buddhism believes in karma and reincarnation. All creatures are reborn into the world in diffrent shapes and forms to build up good karma and be rid of their bad ones. Only when we are purified would we be able to leave this reincarnating cycle and go to heaven

Traditionally, male buddhists at the age of 20 have the 'duty' to reside in the monsatery for a certain period of time in which they meditate, collect themselves and if possible, try to find their path to leave the life and death cycle
It is believed that the good karma created would allow their parents (especially the mum cos she cant be a monk) to reach heaven in the after-life

Sadly its prob one of the few men's duties (others being national service) I wont be able to accomplish in life

Why aren't we all going to heaven? why are we still here in this cycle of birth, age, sickness and death?
Cos we r all still merge ourselves in temptations, which lead us down the path of unholiness
They come in 4 simple forms...Love, Greed, Anger and obsession

I never thought I could do my mum justice (being the nice mum she is) and seek the paeceful path cos I'm too deep in this pool of temptation to purify myself
Like a perfectly normal human, I hav them all but I dun control them very well
When I love, I let it affects my emotion, my life, my decisions, my actions, my better self
Greed makes me selfish. Most of the time I put my interest first. More I want, less I give. Havent u noticed that Im such a bad gambler...plenty of greed no luck
Anger is one of my worst weakness. I get frustrated, stressed and angry easily. I dun channel it very well either. I take 'pointless' vengeance and retaliate. Often ppl around me suffer from it and I'm grateful that they are still sticking by me
Obssesive I am. Keep telling myself to do things in moderation but I dun. With a total lack of self control I follow my passion/emotion too much and like the wind, it keeps changing directions.

Me being the monk would only disgrace the religion
If we can escape this karma cycle so easily then there wouldnt be so much grief and sadness in the world
I'm so sori to my mum...whatever goods I did in my previous life had brought me here to be her son...
and I can only hope that the good things I did the in past, now and may have done for the rest of my life would let me be born as my mum's son again next life

2 comments:

Jian said...

I've always wondered if you did the ordination of the monk thing which I hear all Thai boys are recommended to do for the sake of their parents. My mother has joked about it since she is really into Budhhism and I am certain that I can't do it. You can always do it during Summer!

It is hard being a staunch Buddhist. Wanting to play games is already considered 'craving'. Talking about other people's misfortunes is considered breaking the Third Precept. Yes it is hard to accomplish. Most of or daily actions and thoughts are bound to fall outside the boundary of being a good Buddhist, but hey, when the time comes to try and control these things the time will come.

Supa04 said...

Ya... i didnt do it and prob wont be doing it...mum never pressured or talked me into doing it either.. being the mum she is... its not the matter of not having time but i do think its pointless to force myself there knowing i cannot calm myself emotionally/spiritually (which is what meditation is all about)...mind u... i did find the environment around the temple/monastery more peaceful tho..prob easier to control ur 'craving' from all the craps this world has to offer