February 28, 2009

Michael Schofield wanna-be

A few days back, I was woken up from my nap by a friend and was told that she got my key stuck in the door. In my half awake half dopey state, I went downstairs and the key sure was stuck.
After trying to turn very hard a couple of times, I decided that I needed to eat dinner first.
=)

There are certain features that you would expect your normal door lock to have and they are the followings:
- the lock can only be opened by your keys alone.
- the key cannot be pulled out from the key hole while turning.
- the key hole cannot be turned once the key is out.

As it turned out, there were some faulty springs inside the lock that got caught, causing the key to get stuck. After pulling apart my door knob, losing a few damaged springs and dropping a few small parts of the lock, this is the state my door lock is currently in.

- it still can be locked from inside and outside.
- an unidentical but similar key may be able to unlock the door from the inside only.
- if lucky, the door can be unlocked from the inside without needing any key at all.
- sometimes the key maybe stuck while retrieving it out of the socket (the inside lock of course). you simply need to wiggle it a bit and hope for the best.

As my friend put it, the state of my door lock may be benefitial to 'a very unlucky burglar who couldnt find the key once he broke into the house via windows'.
I mean, once the burglar got inside the house, the state of the lock from the inside is irrelevant.

The experience was fun tho. This was almost like a puzzle. I love mind games.
Isn't life beautiful?

No comments: