February 27, 2009

Ego revived

Friends think I'm too aggressive with teeth.
Demonstrators didnt think I can do it.
They all have one thing in common. Sterotype.

After my demonstrator concluded that I cut through the side of my patient's tooth, both me and my patient suffered through a great depression for 3 days. I had my doubt of how good I really am and whether I was really overconfident, because that perforation was just one too many. What more, the guy is my presentation case for the end of year exam. It certainly won't look good if I stuffed up. I've been anxious about the endo drought this yr, feeling a bit restless staying away from K files this long. It would be unbearable to refer the patient away.

After getting my patient back to confirm my apparent "mistake" and opened up the tooth, a perfect root canal anatomy was staring at my face. The perfect 4 canals upper molar first seen through my eyes.

The patient is no longer in pain and the previous swelling went away in hrs after the last visit, according to him.
It wasn't a perforation. It was the canal that I found but my demonstrator couldnt find.
I did a perfect access preparation, the best by me to date and so there was a regret, a regret that I lost my cool, a regret that I let other ppl tell me what I can or cant do and in doing so, my patient suffered. It was unfair, to my patient.
I was happy, happy for the fact that I refused to accept my demonstrator's diagnosis and had the energy to prove it.

In the high of proving my demonstrator wrong, I met the new obstacle, a constricted canal which reminded me once again that I'm just a small fish in the ocean. The root canal anatomy isn't as simple as I once thought and there are so much more to learn

The lesson for the day: learn off someone who knows more than you

No comments: