April 13, 2009

actually, Love

About 2 months ago around the time of Valentine's day, I came across an article which pointed out how romantic movies can harm our relationships,which is being described as the so-called 'Nothing Hill effect'.
It is said that ppl who watch romcoms (and disney films alike) are more likely to hold on to the idea of predestined love and are more likely to be unhappy with their own relationships. Romcoms often paint the picture that lovers can suddenly develop a spark but portray married couples as being boring and loveless. The article revealed the common themes running through the line of romcom films, these being 'opposites attract', the 'pick me', the 'class warfare' and the 'secret identities'. This gives ppl unrealistic expectations of their own relationships. Thus more and more ppl now a day stay single in the belief that they can afford to wait for their soulmates and often, quit perfectly good relationships with the excuse that they didn't have the right person.

Sadly, I'm a romcom person and maybe I've been suffering from the Nothing Hill Effect. Today I watched Pride and Prejudice again and my heart was still moved by Keira Knightly, the idea of 'love chemistry' and the beautiful language my ears couldn't catch up to. For now, I think this is what I need, an indulgence, a glimpse of perfection in my imperfect life.
While being the all time classic love story, there was a hint of reality in the film that we cannot ignore. I was drawn to the character Charlotte, one of Lizzy's sisters who boldly stated that "not everyone can afford to be romantic" and it couldn't be more true. There are many ppl out there who are bounded by life's unfortunate circumstances and do not have choices in this matter. I do realise that life isn't a fairy tale but I can't help being scared that my life may end up being like Charlotte's. What a waste of a lifetime that would be.

Some random things I came across on the internet
- Love means never having to say you're sorry, mostly because when you screw up, you will need to make a much longer speech than that.
- You never know when love will strike, which makes it similar to terrorists.
- Love was originally invented by microsoft, thus explaining its chronic instability.
- We wear wedding rings on the left fourth finger because of the belief dated back to ancient egypt that the vein of love runs from this finger directly to the heart.

PS. Isn't it nice to think that everyone has been cut in two and we're all wandering the earth looking for our other half?

3 comments:

_V said...

Vi and Louise like this.

But i'll defend/discuss my stance on some of your points in real time.

me.l said...

very impressive supa. good on u for telling it like it is :)

;) said...

No one falls in love by choice,
it is by chance.
No one stays in love by chance,
it is by work.
And no one falls out of love by chance,
it is by choice