December 13, 2008

Pandora Box

A Bible or Pandora Box? I questioned myself today

This afternoon I was paid a visit by one of my seniors who recently graduated and is about to move back home.
She gave me a big pile of photocopied books so I was going thru them one by one.
Until I came across the last big black folder sitting innocently at the bottom of the colgate bag.
After I opened up the cover, I soon realised this is the collection of concise written summaries of every disciplines in dentistry throughout the 5 yrs course neatly organised in tabs and although concise, the collection was an inch and a half thick. Sori if I've forgotten to mention that she graduated as the top student in dental science 2008. I was in awe and speechless. The amount of knowledge blinded me. It almost felt like Po when holding a dragon scroll. The notes included summaries from all journals, textbooks and lecs she read. In the next 12 months or so until I graduate, I think that I would struggle to finish reading her summaries alone and the important word to highlight is "summary". Doesn't that kinda hit u in the face and open ur mind to magnitude of what the full content of dental knowledge could be? If this is what it takes to become a dentist then I hardly know enough.
There I wondered...although this thing in my hand is like a Bible of dentistry, its also a Pandora box. Once opened, it revealed to me an awful truth of how ignorant I really am. While she graduated as a dentist, I on the other hand still hold the knowledge of a first yr student compared to her. How sad...

Another mischievous thought came to me.

What if this folder is passed on from generation to generation of students and becomes the legendary ghost book every kids r talking about. The book that holds such power as to grant, when in the right hands, an ability to excel in dentistry. Some say its there but some say it doesnt exist. The book that every good dental students dream about and not-so-smart students cry for...

Tham, Dentistry 1'08

No comments: