March 4, 2008

Supa's postulate to a good clinical life

If 4 aetiolgy to dental caries are Host, Bacteria, Diet and Time,
Then 4 "aetiology" to a good clinical life are urself, patient, demonstrator and nurses

Of course u urself hav to be in good shape in the first place
Forgeting to book the interpreter or being stoned/exhausted from the previous night activities (boardgames...dun think too much) isnt a good foundation to an enjoyable clinical session

Patients...afterall, they are who we treat
Difficult patient makes ur life hell and it might not even be intentional
some patients r just plain trouble...overly complain which leads to difficult diagnosis...always late...acted like my grandma owes them a favor or something...ungrateful
Unintentionally, their mouth can just be difficult to work on...small mouth...cheeky...very strong tongue thrust etc...
Today I scaled 2 patients...in the morning, i barely got 10 or so teeth done in 2hrs but in the afternoon i got 2 full quadrants ultrasonic and scaled in just over an hr
The second patient has easier teeth to work and very tolerant (doing subgingival scaling w/o LA). He responded to my initial OHI too, so didnt hav to clean as much plaque off

Demonstrator
They r ppl who tell u what u can or cant do
Some demos r surprisingly effective. Those ones will push u to ur limit. Those ones will make u a good dentist.
Those ones talk concisely and let u get on with ur work.
Those ones treat u like colleagues and those ones are respected
Lousy ones, ur better off not having one...fricking waste ur time
OMG...Today was the first time I almost cracked at the demostrator
I dunno what he has against me. Every time i stood and waited for him, he always go help ppl who came behind me first...every single time...then whats the fricking line for??
"ladys first"???...my ass... u go tell that to my patient who spent half an hr waiting
Its not fair for me nor my patient... is my patient less of a human than other ppl there???
hah!! and the first thing he said when he came over to my bay
"u dun bend co/cr denture with pliers"... and the idiot didnt even look at the denture first
I was bending stainless steel wire on the denture...
always talk too much...no useful comment...
Didnt come or help the whole session and had the nerve to say "where hav u been all morning"
I shouldve finished treating my patient today...in the end I barely got scaling done
Ok...sori...I needed to channel out my anger...almost smacked him today
anyway, I much prefer having Dr.Stacey or Dr.Hopcraft than this stupid idiot

And last but not least, dental nurses
u cannot underestimate the importance of having a well-trained nurse
The good ones r like extensions of ur body... significantly reduce ur working time
The lousy one slows u down, annoys the patient and me
How can they let water pooled all over the patient's mouth with highspeed suction in their hand???
Lousy nurses chat non-stop when my bay needs change-over
Lousy nurses always chart ur examination wrong...
For nurses, some ppl may say otherwise but my general rule is, the older the better

No comments: